Potato Research Institute PETLA is a private research unit in Finland focusing on potato research, consultation, training and publication.
Potato Research Institute is maintained by Potato Research and Development Foundation. Supporters of the foundation are The Central Union of Agricultural Producers and Forest Owners (MTK) and several potato industrial companies. Potato Research Institute works in close cooperation with Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke, former MTT Agrifood Research Finland), ProAgria Advisory Centres and universities.
The research topics in Petla are
- Potato variety tests and quality factors of potato
- Potato nutrient and fertilization
- Potato plant health, plant protection
- Cultivation techniques, technology
- The concept of quality and quality measurement
- The economy of potato production and processing
The professional magazine “Tuottava Peruna” is published four times a year. The magazine is targeted at farmers and other operators in the potato sector. Other publications include research reports, guides and advisory publications.
Potato Research Institute is located in Köyliö, Säkylä, close to the important potato production areas on the west coast of Finland.
Potato Research Institute